Saturday, January 12, 2008

Webster's Wine Bar

Based on the great reviews written by other yelpers, My boyfriend and I tried Webster's Wine Bar last night (1/11/08) along with another couple. None of us had ever been to a wine bar before so we weren't sure what to expect, but it was one of the best Friday nights I've had in a while.

Firstly, I must confess that the great company probably had lots to do with the fabulous evening. Good friends and wine almost always equal a good time. But the warm atmosphere, helpful staff, extensive wine selection, and DELICIOUS appetizers made it a really special night.

We each started with a wine flight. My friend and I both had the Classic Whites, my boyfriend had the Winter Reds, and our fourth tried the Argentinian Reds (their current special). All of us enjoyed the selections and found them generously poured and reasonably priced. Plus, our waitress was able to recommend some appetizers and cheeses that would compliment our respective flights. The food was great and arrived surprisingly quickly. After finishing our flights, we split two bottles of wine (one red and one white) that our waitress recommended and ordered more appetizers and two pizzas. I was a bit worried that we would end up with some crappy bar pizza, but it was very tasty and nicely done. We didn't try any of the main courses, but between the four of us we managed to try almost every appetizer. I highly recommend all of them except the artichoke tampanade (not very flavorful) and the olives (not worth the money).

Not only was the food and wine great, but the atmosphere was so inviting and pleasant. We arrived at 7:30 and were seated right away. Our table was a bit too small with all of our  glasses and plates, but we asked if we could combine two tables and they (after a bit of hemming and hawing) obliged. And by the time the place filled up and they asked us to give up our second table we were too many glasses in to mind. Our laid-back server definitely helped give Webster's a neighborhoody feel. This is the sort of place I wouldn't feel weird wearing jeans or a dress to. Plus, there were people of all ages. So while I went last night with three other people under 25, I would also go with my 60 year old mom. Even though by the time we left (10:30) they had gotten pretty busy, I never felt like we were in some Friday night scene. I definitely want to check this place out on a weeknight to compare, but it was surprisingly relaxed for a Friday night.  

All in all a great place to go with friends and I am looking forward to returning.

No comments: