Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hopeful News

Ahh Sundays. Fro is off today so I'm all alone at work today with just a few volunteers. Sundays are usually slow so I brought my ipod with me. I thought it would be fun to listen to music and just chill out in between calls. Of course, we haven't been able to make it through one song without getting interrupted by a call. This should teach me a lesson--never count on work being slow, because then it will inevitably be hectic.

Last night after work neill and I checked out the wicker park street fest. We got there just in time to see the tail end of The 1900s performance. I've heard a lot of buzz about them so it was cool to check them out. We also found some awesome artwook being displayed. I wish I could remember this guy's name because both neill and I liked his stuff (and it was kinda cheap). Very simple and minimilist, but he had interesting compositions. It was pretty crowded and so after about an hour we ditched out and went over to our favorite neighborhood plant store, Asrai Garden. The staff there is so friendly and knowledgable. We ended up picking up a new plant for the bedroom (a philodendron) and figuring out the name of Neill's plant we got there a few months ago (its a Zamioculcas zamiifolia a.k.a a ZZ plant). Yay plants!

Anyways, I should probably be working so I'll end the post with two articles I found that made me happy. Maybe they will make you happy too!

I found a really uplifting article on the advocate's website. [I actually had no idea that the we had any laws against individuals with H.I.V coming to the United States. But, I'm quite happy that the ban is being repealed.]

Also, here is another happy piece from the huffington post. To hear about Catholic groups petitioning the pope to lift the birth control ban is an interesting comparison to yesterdays post on the whole birthcontrol/abortion mess.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

woah, that is a weird ban (that I also didn't know about). it's funny that the article says this change is _one_ of the greatest accomplishments of the bush administration ... as if there were others ;-)

Unknown said...

weird, i commented when this post was just a link to the article. i love the new plant we got! it looks so good in the bedroom. maybe next month we can get the other one they had of the same type for the office?! i'm jealous :-)

i had so much fun with you yesterday! my only regret is that we didn't have time to finish the movie we were watching.